Poor oral hygiene, injury to teeth, gum diseases – the reasons for missing tooth or teeth can be many. Tooth or teeth replacement options have considerably evolved thanks to technological advancements in restorative dentistry. Dental implants and dental bridges are two such options which are commonly used for replacing tooth or teeth. Let’s understand what these are and the advantages they offer.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants offer a strong foundation for fixed or removable replacement teeth. They are essentially replacement tooth roots and are made to match the natural teeth. They offer several advantages:
• Enhanced facial appearance
• Improved speech, oral health, and confidence
• Better Bite
• Long-lasting results
What are Dental Bridges?
Dental bridges are used as bridges to close the gap created by one or several missing teeth. The dental bridge is made up of two or more crowns for the teeth on either side of the gap. The two or more anchoring teeth are known as abutment teeth, with false tooth or teeth in between known as pontics. Dental bridges are supported by implants or natural teeth. Bridges help restore your smile and the ability to properly chew and speak, help maintain the natural shape of the face, distribute the forces in bite and assist the remaining teeth to keep their natural position.
Even though both dental implants and bridges seem to offer similar advantages, dental implants are preferred more. Let’s take a look at the underlying reasons.
Why Choose Dental Implants over Bridges?
1.When a tooth is missing, the jawbone in that area starts shrinking which can affect the adjacent teeth as well as the surrounding teeth. Dental implants prevent this and promote bone growth, which helps preserve the facial structure.
2. Dental implants closely resemble natural teeth when it comes to feel and function. This is because the titanium implant replicates the restoring form, function, and durability of the tooth root.
3. In the case of dental implants, there is no risk of tooth decay as opposed to bridges. Implants are also relatively easy to keep clean as simple floss can easily get around the implant. They don’t require any particular cleaning devices or equipment or any extra efforts when it comes to oral care.
4. Bridges sit above the gum in the space where the tooth is missing. Whereas, dental implants are fixed into the jaw bone which offers natural stimulation with chewing actions. This provides protection and strength to the jaw bone which lies beneath the missing tooth and hence prevents the undesirable effects of bone loss commonly seen in patients with bridges. Implants also promote healthy bone growth and reinforce the jawbone which in turn helps to maintain the facial jawline.
5. The success rate of dental implants is much higher as compared to dental bridges. It varies depending on their location in the jaw. However, in general, dental implants have a much higher success rate of up to 98%.
6. The quality of the implants, patient’s bone health, oral hygiene, the experience of the restorative dentists or oral surgeons performing the dental implant surgery, etc. help determine the longevity of the dental implants. Mostly, dental implants last for a lifetime if they are cared for as prescribed by the dentist. Besides, all the dental implants come with a lifetime warranty. So, with dental implants, you can flaunt a healthy smile for years to come.
If you are looking for one of the best dental clinics in Vadodara for dental implants, get in touch with us at Monarch Dental Clinic. We offer exceptional services to help you get that perfectly healthy and gorgeous smile of your dreams.